Quick facts and stats
- SMART Technologies was founded in 1987 by David Martin and Nancy Knowlton, who currently fill the roles of Chairman and Vice Chair, respectively, on SMART’s Board of Directors
- SMART created the world’s first interactive whiteboard in 1991, the world’s first interactive learning center for early education in 2008 and the world’s first large-format interactive flat panel to offer presence detection in 2012
- In 2011, SMART’s share in the interactive display product category was just over 45% globally. Compared with 2010, SMART increased its product category share in the Americas, EMEA and Asia Pacific.*
- SMART's annual revenue for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, was US$745.8 million
- More than 175 Fortune 1000 organizations in North America have adopted SMART’s visual collaboration solutions, including Wells Fargo and Google, with more than 45 of these companies moving toward broader adoptions
- In addition to being a Silver Competency Managed Partner, SMART is one of the 11 Global Technology Partners within the Microsoft Technology Centers (MTC) Alliance Program. SMART also has corporate alliances with Alcatel-Lucent and Cisco.
- More than 125 blue-chip (Fortune 500) companies in over 50 countries around the world are using SMART’s visual collaboration solutions in industries such as financial services, manufacturing and advanced technology
- As of March 2012, SMART has 185 design and utility issued patents – 89 patents currently issued in the United States and 96 patents issued internationally – and 568 patents pending
- More than 2.3 million SMART Board interactive whiteboards have been installed globally in education, business and government settings, with over 2 million installed in K–12 classrooms, reaching more than 40 million students and their teachers
- SMART Notebook collaborative learning software has been downloaded by more than six million users in over 175 countries around the world
- Nearly 60,000 digital resources are available on the SMART Exchange website, SMART’s online community for educators. There are over 48 country-specific versions of the site, and SMART Notebook lessons are available for download in 23 languages.
- SMART Technologies Headquarters is located in Calgary, Canada, with international offices in Germany, France, the United Kingdom, United Arab Emirates, Colombia, China, Japan and Singapore. It has U.S. offices in Washington, DC, New York. SMART has more than 1,600 staff around the world.
- Freestorm visual collaboration solutions are widely used within military and government agencies around the world. Customers include the U.S. Air Force, European Space Agency, Swiss Army, UK Police, Ministry of Public Security in China, Hong Kong Fire Services Department, Logistical Command Center of Chile and the Institute of Nuclear Energy Research and Atomic Energy Council in Taiwan.
- SMART Technologies Headquarters achieved LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold standard certification for its numerous green features and implementation of outstanding environmentally sound practices in manufacturing, packaging and work practices
* Source: Futuresource Consulting – a leading global research company that has tracked interactive whiteboard sales since 2004. For more information, please visit futuresource-consulting.com.